Sunday, December 16, 2007

I want to share a brief memory from last summer:
We had a big family reunion in June. Near the end of the day, my two grand-nieces, Jaydee and Kendra, were being shuttled off to a week of summer camp. The pre-teen daughters each took their turn giving kisses and hugs (enough to last a whole week) to their dad, George. I happened to be sitting across the table from George during this family ritual. I saw Kendra, in her NY Yankees baseball cap, as she threw her arms around his neck and covered his face with kisses. Then she put her head against his chest and rubbed with all her might.
“HEY!” George reprimanded, “Get that Yankee stuff away from me!” (I guess he was a Red Sox fan). Kendra giggled and George laughed out loud, and she skipped away to camp.
I feel blessed to have witnessed this loving moment between father and daughter.

I have faith that no one – not even George at age 44 – lives one second less than God intended them to live. His work here was done.

Even though our hearts are breaking, we trust George is home for Christmas.

(George’s wife blogs at http://cdroses2.blogspot.com/)
His mother-in-law, my sister is on http://sue-thebacknine@blogspot.com )

7 comments:

Jim said...

Janell, that car was rented for they wedding by the father of the groom, a Mr. Metcalf. He owns a funeral home in Conroe, Texas.
I will ask him if he has a relative in Lincoln who has a funeral home, the one where George's body was taken.

I understand your not blogging. And I will be praying for you and the whole family for God's peace and understanding that can come from Him.
..

Paul Nichols said...

I'm sorry to hear of your sudden loss. You're wise to relive some good memories. Please accept our condolences. We will pray for you and for George's family. God bless.

LaDawn said...

You are in our thoughts and hearts.

Jamie Dawn said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of this dear man and very good daddy. His girls were blessed to have such a loving and fun dad. I know they will cherish all those memories for the rest of their lives.
I'm 44, and his death makes it clear to me that we surely do not know the hour or day that our lives will end.
I pray that your family is comforted during this time of loss and grief.
He is in heaven, but I know that those left behind will miss him terribly.

Cliff said...

J, I'm so sorry to hear of this loss. What a sad affair. Our thought and prayers will go with the you and the family.

Anonymous said...

God Bless Janell for this post. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Janell said...

Thank you to all my Blogospherian friends. Your prayers are being answered moment by moment.