54 Things About Me For My 54th Birthday Inspired by Nora
(Most of you probably know all this stuff, but here it is anyway.)
54. I’m a terrible procrastinator, so in order for this to be done by November, I’m starting it in August.
53. Every once in a while, I get the feeling that I’m actually quite retarded, but I’m kept blissfully unaware of this fact because the people around me are good at covering for me.
52. I was amazed and astounded that, when I had to have my mare, Jasmine, put down, I grieved her loss with the very same grief that I felt when my brother died.
51. I don’t like talking on the telephone. I’d rather chat in person, so let’s do lunch some time.
50. I don’t like to eat out any place where I have to unwrap my food.
49. If I try to sleep past 5:30 AM, I start having nightmares.
48. I have four recurring dreams quite regularly. One involves a tornado, one features a firing squad, one involves a house I’ve never seen, but is apparently mine that only has three walls, and the other has me remorselessly committing a heinous crime.
47. I really miss John Denver.
46. I’ve lost 37 pounds since January 7, 2008.
45. I always wait way to long to replace my worn out underwear.
44. I have only owned four horses in my lifetime: they were/are Glory, Jasmine, Bubba and Lucy.
43. It is one of the disappointments of my life that I was born too late to be involved with my dad and grandpa when they owned and trained Thoroughbred race horses.
42. I gave birth to my children using the LaMaze method and no medication. (Does anybody do that anymore?)
41. I breast-fed my babies until they were about a year old. And I used cloth diapers. (Don’t be blaming me for the overflowing landfills!)
40. I am very easily startled.
39. I hate – and I do mean HATE – mice.
38. I own too many cookbooks.
37. When I am away from home overnight, I miss my cat, Webber, more than anything else.
36. I have written two books and am looking for a publisher.
35. I collaborated with a good friend and we self-published a collection of WWII memoirs of veterans back in 1995.
34. I am extremely introverted and easily intimidated.
33. I want to ‘handy’ a pair of oxen. (some of you city slickers might need to look that one up.) This is on my Bucket List.
32. I sing in a Gospel Quartet. I prefer to sing Alto, but sometimes sing Tenor.
31. I play guitar and piano; but (usually) not in public.
30. I love River City Roundup and hope to go on the Northeast Ride for the next ten years.
29. I am medically diagnosed to be in Menopause – or as I like to call it “Mental Pause.” It’s weird. More about that later.
28. I snore.
27. I talk in my sleep.
26. It’s now September and this is as far as I’ve gotten.
25. Every once in a while, someone calls me “sir.” I HATE that. Even more than mice. (And BTW, if you’ve met me, please tell me why anyone would think I am a man?)
24. I LOVE living in Nebraska, but if I had the opportunity, I would like to live in Australia for a few years. I will, however, end my days in Nebraska.
23. I love the Chicago Cubs.
22. I cheer wholeheartedly for the Nebraska Cornhusker Football, Volleyball, and Baseball teams.
21. It makes me sad that I can’t play softball anymore.
20. I hope that there will be another Triple Crown Winner in Thoroughbred horse racing during my lifetime.
19. I love to sew. Quilts are my favorite thing to make.
18. Blogstock and meeting some of my blog buddies was the highlight of my summer of ’08.
17. Is this boring, or what????
16. It’s October, now and I’m running out of me stuff.
15. My favorite Christmas Carol is “Silent Night.” Second favorite is the Trans Siberian Orchestra’s “Christmas Eve in Sarajevo.”
14. I drink way too much coffee.
13. I home-schooled Jack and Emily from 1996-2002. On our very first day of school, we stood outside on a jewel (rare and precious) of a fall day and watched a Monarch butterfly migration.
12. I gave birth to a stillborn son, James Lee, January 1, 1980.
11. Because of #12, I used to dread the Christmas Season, but Jack and Emily taught me how to love it again.
10. It’s November 19th – 6 days after I was supposed to be done with this and I’m still working on it. Told you I was a procrastinator.
9. My favorite type of music is Country & Western.
8. I’m a big fan of Sean Hannity.
7. I am pretty certain of the “new direction” and “change” Barack Obama is going to bring to this country. I hope with all my heart that he proves me wrong.
6. I love going to early church (8:00 AM) and then coming home to make a traditional Sunday Dinner for my family. (Meat, potatoes, vegetable, dessert…)
5. It is by Divine Intervention that I’ve been married the best man on the planet for 32 years.
4. I am deeply offended when I hear the phrase “Oh my God” used as an exclamation. It demonstrates a complete lack of respect for a Name that should only be held in the highest regard. Back in the day of Orthodox Scribes, the name of God was considered too Holy to even write it on paper and now we toss it around like a piece of verbal clutter. I’d like someone to explain to me why the ACLU will defend anyone’s right to use profane language in public or in any broadcasting venue, but object to public displays of Christian faith.
3. My Life Verse is 1 Peter 1:3 “Praised be the God the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. In His great mercy, He has given us a new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead and into an inheritance which can never perish, spoil or fade, kept in Heaven for you who, through faith, are shielded by God’s power.”
2. I love God with all my heart and I am grateful that He has forgiven me and for the Gift of Eternal life He gave me through His son, Jesus Christ.
1. I want all of you to find that Salvation in Him, if you haven’t already.