Wednesday, June 04, 2008




Sad news

I have to report a death in our family. Our old Black Lab, Cody, died yesterday morning. He was 12 years old. We went through our usual morning routine - he greeted each one of us as we exited the house and then ate up his breakfast. He laid down in his favorite cool spot in the garage while I went for a short ride on the horse. When I got back about a half hour later, he was gone. Just went to sleep and didn't wake up.

I'm glad it was a peaceful end for him. He had been getting arthritic in his back legs and hips so that getting up was slow and painful. I wasn't looking forward to the colder weather in the Fall and winter this year, a little worried we might have to make a hard decision for him. Even so, he was always ready to go walking with anyone, anytime of day, no matter how many times he'd already gone. He loved playing fetch with his favorite squeaky toy. And he had three padded dog bed blankets that he liked to lay on. He'd take one in his mouth and shake it up and down and then drag it to just the right spot in the yard or driveway where he wanted to nap that day.

I had to go to work at 3 PM, so Randy and Jack had burial detail when they got home in the late afternoon. They chose a nice shady spot in the woods behind our house, covered him with two of his blankets, buried his toy with him, and marked the place with a large stone.

Rest in peace, Cody. See you in Heaven!

8 comments:

Mary Connealy said...

Sorry about Cody, Janell.

Myrnagj said...

Rest in peace, Cody.

Anonymous said...

Janell, that was beautiful. RIP Cody. I found a couple of nice poems to commemorate Cody. Again, my condolences.

---------------
JUST MY DOG

He is my other eyes that can see above
the clouds; my other ears that hear above
the winds. He is the part of me that can
reach out into the sea.

He has told me a thousand times over that
I am his reason for being: by the way he
rests against my leg; by the way he thumps
his tail at my smallest smile; by the way he
shows his hurt when I leave without taking him.
(I think it makes him sick with worry when he
is not along to care for me.)

When I am wrong, he is delighted to forgive.
When I am angry, he clowns to make me smile.
When I am happy, he is joy unbounded.
When I am a fool, he ignores it.
When I succeed, he brags.
Without him, I am only another man. With him,
I am all-powerful.
He is loyalty itself.
He has taught me the meaning of devotion.
With him, I know a secret comfort and a
private peace. He has brought me understanding
where before I was ignorant.
His head on my knee can heal my human hurts.
His presence by my side is protection against
my fears of dark and unknown things.
He has promised to wait for me...
henever...wherever--in case I need him.
And I expect I will--as I always have.


He is just my dog.
--- Gene Hill ---

nora leona said...

Oh, I'm so sorry about Cody. He sounds like he was a swell dog.

Jim said...

I too am sorry about Cody. You guys will sure miss him. I know he was a nice dog, the best. And your very good friend.

I do believe dogs and the other animals will go to heaven. Elizabeth Elliot talked about that one day, "all creation is anxiously awaiting."
..

Davey1dr said...

Sorry to here about Cody, he was a very good dog.
Janell this is you nephew David.
I have read a couple of your comments on Mom's newsletter and I am happy to inform you that you will get the chance next year to see Shae and my whole family at the reunion.Robin has changed tracks and we are planning on making the trip next June.

Janell said...

Thanks, Mary and Myrna.

Joe, I loved that poem. I haven't heard of Gene Hill before, but he sure illustrated that there is no such thing as "just" my dog.

Nora, thanks. yes, he was perfect for us. Irreplaceable.

Jim; can you email me more about what EE said? I don't have access to her programs anymore, due to my schedule.

David! Welcome! I hope you visit here alot and I am SO looking forward to your visit next year!!! Love you!

Jamie Dawn said...

Awww, so sorry for the loss of your dear pet.
Pets are part of the family and losing them is very hard.