Tuesday, November 13, 2007

‘Twas in November of ‘55
All my siblings were already alive.
With Shirley’s birthday on Saturday
And Dad’s on Monday
I squeezed in between them, and was born on a Sunday.

For every birthday until she ceased to bake
Mom made her traditional Angel food cake.
So white and tender with a crispy crust,
A drizzle of frosting was always a must.

No matter the hardship that it might create,
A card with $5 accompanied the cake.
It may not sound like very much,
But it came from her heart, with her Mother’s touch.

So today is number 52
And there’s so much that I wanted to do
Before I reached this time of my life…
Where did the time go? I tried to keep track
I’d do a lot differently if I could go back.

I was planning on accomplishing wonderful things
That would gain the respect of statesmen and kings.
I should solve global warming and make world peace lasting,
But somehow the answers have slipped right on past me.

But now that I’ve had some time to reflect
On what’s most important, on what counts for the best;
Sometimes it’s a smile and the time it would take
To deliver a card, a five, and an Angel food cake.

11 comments:

Sue said...

My kids always had 2 angel food cakes for their birthdays. Mom and "Gramma" Mabel would both bake them cakes. The sad part is, I don't think I ever baked a cake for any of my kids.
Sue

Janell said...

Maybe you can next year.

stephanie said...

Hope it is a good. Thanks for the poem. Made me smile.

Myrnagj said...

Nice poem. Sounds like a nice birthday.

Happy Birthday from your biggest sister.

I was old enough to go see you in the hospital. Dad took me, probably on his birthday.

Mary Connealy said...

Janell, that's a beautiful poem. Just beautiful. And you've accomplished wonderful things in your life.
Happy birthday. God bless you.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, great post! Loved the poem.

At the end of the day, its only your kids and family that matters. Everyone can say they'd do it different. You'll never what work / un-important things you attended, but you will always remember the family events you missed because you thought you were doing something important.

Oh by the way... Don't worry about Global Warming, its a myth anyway, and the world peace thing is currently under the responsibility of the US military. Take a load off...Since you served, you contributed!

God Bless

Shirley said...

Great poem --

I've seen on a t-shirt or plaque, or written on wall somewhere:
"Don't measure your life by the
breaths you take, but by the
moments that take your breath
away."

Janell said...

Steph, thanks for the greeting. I appreciate every visit I get from you!
Joe, you are so right! I've said it before and I'll say it again every chance I get... Nobody on their death bed ever said, "I wish I'd spent more time at work." And I know GW is a myth, but I was in a hurry with my poem and it fit the rhythm!
I'm getting a little - no, a lot-worried about the Taliban moving into Pakistan. If I could do one more important public thing, I would go and be an imbedded reporter with the US Forces. Laura Ingalls Wilder's daughter went to Viet Nam when she (Rose) was 60. Do you think it's too late for me?
Mary, thank you for your kindness.
Myrna; tell me more! Did Dad say anything? Or was he just sick & tired of bringing babies home from the hospital?
Shirley; the older I get the better I understand that phrase.
Thanks to all of you for your good wishes!

Mary Connealy said...

Janell, LOL you think your dad was less than thrilled at another baby, huh?
I was the third daughter in three years for my parents.
I've always imagined that wonderful moment when my parents saw itsa girl.
Some sentiment similar to.....
Not another one!!!!!!!!!!

cdroses said...

That is such a cool poem!

PS Mom, you're forgiven for never baking a cake. :)

LaDawn said...

What a grogeous poem. It's never too late and you have much to be proud of in your life. If you want to go, GO!

Sorry I was late to the party! Hope you had a very special day. Did any one bake you an angel food cake?