Monday, April 23, 2007

An Inconvenient Truth
I read it, as promised, and once I got past the first several pages of Mr. Gore giving himself credit for advances in environmental issues and placing blame on President Bush for a variety of ills, I now see that global warming is happening. I am not a scientist by any stretch of the imagination (neither is Al Gore) however, I have some questions.
I found the two most convincing evidences of global warming he presents are the melting glaciers and the evaporation of Lake Chad in Africa. If humans and their machines are causing global warming, why do glaciers melt when they exist in areas where human population is sparse? And science has been declaring for centuries that without interference, naturally occurring phenomena tend toward decay, so why wouldn’t glaciers melt anyway? Maybe we are in the midst of a cosmic hot flash.
How did CO2 cause the evaporation of Lake Chad when the auto-human ratio in that area is something like 20 people to every car, while in the US, where the auto-human ratio is pretty much 1-1, most of our naturally occurring bodies of water remain at a constant level?
Mr. Gore quotes his college professor’s findings of rising CO2 levels which he tracked through several years over Hawaii, but why wouldn’t the CO2 levels be on the rise over Hawaii since the entire collection of islands is made up of volcanoes in various stages of activity?
If you hold to Evolutionary theory, the earth is millions of years old. If you are a Creationist, the earth is about 6,000 years old. Climatology has only been around for the past 400 years or so and accurate records of climate changes and meteorological phenomena are even younger. Ice cores and tree rings (dendroclimatology) can give clues as to what climate changes have taken place, but can not give us the reasons for those climate fluctuations. Given the large scale studies needed and the long time periods required to scientifically prove cause and effect in climatology, it is at best, a stochastic process and should be studied as such.
Dr. D. James Kennedy (who holds nine PhD.’s) said that only about 3% of the scientists in the world have the skills, knowledge and experience to fully study and understand the issue. They need to examine all the possible causes in order to determine the truth. Studies of Galactic Cosmic Rays hold some interest in the effects of sunspot activities on climate fluctuations.
In the meantime, the “what you can do to help” section is old news. I’ve been doing most of it since the 1980s, except for the curly-que light bulbs, which are new. I will continue to do so.
And I close this rant with Haggai 2:4-5 “And now get to work, for I am with you, says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies. My Spirit remains among you, just as I promised when you came out of Egypt. So DO NOT BE AFRAID.” (Emphasis mine.)

5 comments:

LaDawn said...

The ecosystems of the planet are so connected and work in ways we do not yet fully understand. Much like a butterfly flapping its wings causes a snowstorm in the Alps. Human creation of CO2 is causing the warming of the planet. We can measure that. I don't need a long period of time to show me that.

As individuals, besides doing our bit with the lightbulbs and keeping the house cooler in winter and warmer in summer, we can and should encourage, through our buying decisions, corporations to do their bit to significantly reduce carbon emissions. Oh, and get the neighbours to act as responsibly as you do!

PS Janell, thank you soooo much for giving this a chance. I can't tell you how much it means to me that you were willing to entertain another possibility. So many people (including myself) can be really closed minded once they've made up their mind about something.

Brooke said...

I haven't yet seen this. It is on my queue for netflixs.

Janell said...

LaDawn; Thanks for your comment. I enjoyed expressing my views on this issue via this blog. I got to finish every sentence I started, complete all my thoughts and I never once got interrupted by someone who was trying to shout me down!
Brooke, please come back and tell us what you think after you've seen it.

LaDawn said...

I agree soooo much. It also gives me a chance to really think through an issue and consider another point of view, which is something I often struggle with. I love doing all the research that comes with finding a position. I should have been a journalist!

cdroses said...

I had a very interesting conversation with an eldery gentleman (yes, older than you guys), yesterday. He's one of our customers and stopped in to chat with the owner. Anyway, he was telling us how the drought cycle is normal. The state of Nebraska (for example) goes through stages where it's dry for anywhere from 4-40 years. Then it cycles out of the drought. I'm guessing most of the planet is like this.
Just my ever to be humble opinion! :D