Thursday, August 12, 2010

Two Verses and a song

I’ve been bearing a heavy burden for more years than I care to admit, but recently, over the past several weeks, God has been leading me step by step to a place where I can finally learn to shed it.

A few weeks ago, I was reading through the book of Job and chapter 38 got me to thinking about a song that got a lot of airtime a few years ago. Sung by Nicole C. Mullen, it was called Redeemer. I haven’t heard it on the radio in years and don’t have the cd (yet), so I just sort of wished out loud that someone on one of my radio stations would dust it off and play it. My Bible reading that morning included the passages 2 Corinthians 10:4-6 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty of God to tear down every stronghold, cast down every imagination and every high thing that exalts itself above the knowledge of God; and to take into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to be ready to punish all disobedience when your obedience is fulfilled. And Romans 12:2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God. I added these to my memory verse list and started working on hiding them in my heart.

I love to get up early in the morning and enjoy the peace and quiet of the pre-dawn. I usually crack a window open so I can listen while the world comes to life, settle into my favorite chair with a cup of coffee and read my Bible for awhile. Then I turn on the TV and listen to Joyce Meyer. She only talks for 30 minutes, and I’m not usually ready to hit the ground running yet, so sometimes I lay my head back and listen to Creflo Dollar, who immediately follows Joyce on the station I watch.

One morning, when Joyce came on she was preaching on 2 Corinthians 10:4-6 and Romans 12:2. I thought, “What a coincidence!”

Silly me.

Guess what Creflo preached on during the next half hour?
Yup: 2 Corinthians 10:4-6 and Romans 12:2.

I don’t have time or space to go into detail about the lessons they preached. Suffice it to say that based on what I allow my thoughts to dwell upon, I have the power within me, to either worry bad situations into existence or trust God and, by speaking His word, I can turn worry into worship. I can “be transformed by the renewing of my mind.” not of myself, but I have access to weapons that are “mighty in God…to take into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ ” (That’s a serious over-simplification, but if you need more details, you can look them both up on the internet.)

Now, lest you scoff and tsk and say, “What a coincidence!” Wait, there’s more:

Guess what song I heard on the drive to work that day?

Nicole C. Mullen’s Redeemer.

And again on the drive home that night.

And one more time, a couple days later, for good measure, just in case I doubted.

I love it when God blows me little kisses like this.

If you want to hear Nicole sing it go here.

When God blows you little kisses, do you notice?

No comments: