Wednesday, January 09, 2019

2019 Journey


2019 Journey

I am embarking on a journey this year. A musical journey.
Although I appreciate much of the contemporary praise and worship songs, I find myself missing the Hymns I grew up with in the old Methodist Church and, later Presbyterian. So I am attempting to re visit and relearn, not only the words and music, but have found it fascinating to look into the background of the Hymn's origin; lyricists and composers.

The first week, (January 1-6) I explored and relearned “Great is Thy Faithfulness.”
Lyrics written in 1925 by Thomas Chisholm 1866-1960 and musical accompaniment by William M. Runyan 1870-1957
Based on Lamentations 3:22-24 'Through the Lord's mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; Great is your faithfulness. “The Lord is my portion ,” says my soul. Therefore I will hope in Him!”'

Chisholm later wrote, “My income has not been large at any time due to impaired health in (my) early years which has followed me until now. Although I mus not fail to record here the unfailing faithfulness of a covenant keeping God and that He has given me many wonderful displays of His providing care for which I am filled with astonishing gratefulness.”

Verse 1: Great is Thy faithfulness, o God my Father.
There is no shadow of turning with Thee.
Thou changes not, Thy compassions they fail not.
As Thou has been, Thou forever ill be.

Verse 2: Summer and winter and springtime and harvest;
Sun, moon and stars in their courses above
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.

Verse 3: Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth,
Thy own dear presence to cheer and to guide.
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow;
Blessings all mine with ten thousand beside.

Chorus:
Great is Thy faithfulness;
Great is Thy faithfulness;
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided.
Great is They faithfulness, Lord unto me!

We didn't have an orchestra and our choir was significantly smaller, but this is a pretty respectable arrangement. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/EMACCtitfRw


No comments: