Monday, February 04, 2019

2019 Journey


January 21-28

Just As I Am Without One Plea
Possibly second only to Amazing Grace, thanks to the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association; one of the most recognized Christian Hymns of all times.
Written in 1834 by a sweet poet named Charlotte Elliot (1789-1861). Music was added in 1836 by William Bradbury (1816-1868). Inspired by John 6:37 “Him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.” According to Miss Elliot's sister, Charlotte “became deeply conscious of the evil in her own heart, and...she suffered much mental distress under the painful uncertainty whether it were possible she could be saved.” Until she had an encounter with a Dr. Malan of Geneva in May 1822. He observed how she was held back from the Saviour by her own self saving efforts he said, “Charlotte, cut the cable, it will take too long to unloose it; cut it, it is a small loss.” He than bade her to give “one, look silent but continuous at the cross of Jesus.” Verse one came from her heart immediately and permanently. She spent the next 40 years continuing to write and publish Christian spiritual poetry.
Modern day listeners will no doubt remember this hymn as being sung by various choirs at the countless altar calls given by the Rev. Billy Graham at his many crusades.

Verse 1
Just as I am, without one plea But that Thy blood was shed for me.
And that Thous bidst me come to Thee, O Lamb of God, I come! I come!

Verse 2
Just as I am, and waiting not To rid my sould of one dark blot,
To Thee whose blood can cleanse each spot,
O Lamb of God, I come! I come!

Verse 3
Just as I am, though tossed about With many a conflict, many a doubt,
Fightings and fears within, without,
O Lamb of God, I come! I come!

Verse 4
Just as I am, poor, wretched, blind; Sight riches, healing of the mind,
Yes, all I need, in Thee I find,
O Lamb of God, I come! I come!

Verse 5
Just as I am, Thou wilt receive, Wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve;
Because Thy promise I believe
O Lamb of God, I come! I come!


3 comments:

Jim said...

Thanks. Jamel. A couple of weeks ago our Sunday school music leader gave us some background on the writing of this one. Nice to see it here.
..

Mary Connealy said...

These are really interesting.
I'm particularly in love with Great is Thy Faithfulness.
It inspired the spiritual themes in my book Gingham Mountain,

Mary Connealy said...

Do "It is Well With My Soul."
There's such an inspiring powerful heartbreaking story behind that hymn.


It is Well With My Soul